Date: 5/1/18 9:21 pm
From: Daniel Scheiman <birddan...>
Subject: So Many Orioles
As per discussions on ARBIRD, Facebook, and the AAS convention, it may be
that the early spring cold temperatures affected the timing of fruiting
trees like mulberries, and perhaps insect abundance. As a result the
orioles are turning to our feeders in droves. Today Janine Perlman shared
with me photos of a Tennessee Warbler visiting and presumably feeding from
a hummingbird feeder and a bowl of grape jelly. That was a new one for me.
According to Birds of North America (BNA) this species is an
³opportunistic fruit eater during migration. Invertebrates, fruit, and
nectar in winter; also attracted to feeders with bananas and plantains.²
So orioles may not be the only species affected. Once the trees fruit,
most migrants have passed through, and the remaining birds start breeding,
I suspect the overabundance of orioles will end. Enjoy the riot of color
while it lasts!

To answer Judy Blackwell¹s question, Baltimore Orioles nest "in isolated
trees, or at edge of woodlands, along watercourses, in shelterbelts, or in
urban parks² according to BNA. In my experience nests are most often found
near waterbodies.

Dan Scheiman
Little Rock, AR

On 5/1/18, 9:24 PM, "The Birds of Arkansas Discussion List on behalf of
Judy & Don" <ARBIRD-L...> on behalf of