Date: 5/1/18 7:16 pm
From: Ben Jesup and Pam Koger-Jesup via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Tennessee warbler in White Oaks Park (plus highlights from the weekend, and caution about cerulean warbler song)
The last few mornings in White Oaks Park (Alexandria) have finally picked
up. The best bird was a singing Tennessee. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a
picture before it flew across Rollins and into a residential area. In
addition, good numbers and diversity of thrushes, vireos, and a few other
non-yellow-rumps (parula, B&W, redstart, ovenbird).

Saturday at Huntley Meadows (Hike/Bike Trail), the highlights were first of
season Swainson's thrush, BTB warbler, and blue grosbeak. Sunday at Great
Falls, beautiful looks at a Blackburnian warbler, a harrier migrating high
above the falls. Also interesting was a song that sounded exactly like
cerulean, but was almost certainly a black-throated blue. I don't know
about others, but I have experienced this before, and I simply won't ID a
cerulean solely by voice.

Ben Jesup

Alexandria