Date: 5/1/18 6:41 pm
From: David Williams <davewilliams8...>
Subject: Many FOS LV County - Warblers, Grosbeak, Tanagers, Chat
Fort Leavenworth had many FOS birds for me today, but the most interesting bird to me was a Loggerhead Shrike which eBird labels as unreported. I don’t remember seeing one at the Fort previously, but maybe so. The Shrike was on the fence line that runs north / south, north end of the airport, east side.

I had been out of town for five days, so birding was much more active than my last visit. All of these birds except Yellow-rumped are FOS birds for me in Leavenworth County:

Great Crested Flycatcher - 6
Eastern Kingbird - 5
Yellow-throated 2, Warbling 5, and Red-eyed Vireo 1
House Wren - 11
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 9
Swainson’s Thrush - 2
Wood Thrush - 2

Warblers:
Black-and-white - 2
Prothonotary - 1, in the bottoms along the river pretty far down the trail,
Tennessee - 3
Nashville - 1
Kentucky - 2, in the upland forest Boy Scout area,
Common Yellowthroat - 8, in the bottoms,
American Redstart - 16, all but 1 in the bottoms,
Northern Parula - 10
Palm Warbler - 2, in the bottoms on the River Trail near the river,
Yellow-rumped - only 5,

Yellow-breasted Chat - 2, one Chat was east of the old asphalt parking lot that is on the levee road, a traditional location.

Summer & Scarlet Tanager, 1 each,
Scarlet ID is by song. I had just been to the Ozarks and heard many Scarlets and got those right.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 8
Indigo Bunting - 6

It was good birding today. We’ll see what tomorrow brings with more south winds and a weather front nearby.

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to