Date: 5/1/18 3:35 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose, 5/1 a.m. - Birds Galore
I took the day off today, May 1 in anticipation of what I expected to be
a great day of birding at Montrose Point in Chicago. It was fantastic,
exceeding even my own optimistic expectations. The southwest winds
brought in a ton of migrants - I've lost track of all the FOS's I
snatched up today. A review of eBird reports from Montrose shows about
125 species reported from about 20 submissions. This will probably go
down as one of the best days this spring. My highlights include

Baird's Sandpiper - Probably the same bird from yesterday. A very good
spring bird for us.
Willet - 2
Franklin's Gull - Older immature bird on the beach
All 6 regularly occurring swallows
All Catharus thrushes plus Wood Thrush. Excellent numbers of Swainson's
Thrushes.
19 species of warblers highlighted by Pine, Hooded, Blackpoll,
Chestnut-sided, and Blackburnian
Grasshopper Sparrow - 1
Le Conte's Sparrow - 1
Dickcissel - 1
Bobolink - 1
Orchard Oriole - 1
Rusty Blackbird - 1

I ended up with 102 species for the day, only the fourth time I've
cracked the century mark at Montrose in the 30+ years of been birding
the place. It should be good at least through tomorrow too.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
Birding Montrose Point:
http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html
The Montrose Birding Blog: http://theorniphile.info/wordpress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/robertdhughes63
Montrose on eBird: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L161180

Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)