Date: 5/1/18 2:02 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Franklin County birding; fallout totals
Hi MassBirders,

I took a decidedly scenic route home after dropping the kids at school this morning. Barton Cove looked quiet at first, but I found a Green Heron lurking along the shore near the campground, near the first brood of fluffy yellow Canada Goose goslings that I’ve seen this year. An Osprey flew over the cove and at least two Black-throated Green Warblers and a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher were singing in the woods nearby.

In Wendell State Forest, one Great Blue Heron was sitting in a nest; two other nests looked well-constructed but unoccupied. Did someone recently ask where the flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers were? This swamp was *swarming* with dozens of them! I also had great close looks at Pine and Palm Warblers, a much further-away look at a Black-and-White, and heard a Louisiana Waterthrush and another BTGreen singing nearby. A few Hooded Mergs and Wood Ducks swam below, and a lone Wild Turkey appeared to be chasing a squirrel as it crossed the road in front of my car.

At Lake Wyola, I was perusing the swallow flock that was low over the water (all Barn and Tree), when their calls suddenly got louder and more energetic; I looked up just in time to spot a Merlin flying across above them. A Belted Kingfisher flew over the beach after that. A couple of Blue-headed Vireos were singing near the South Brook Conservation Area at the south end of the lake, and another GB Heron flew into the bog.

My last birding stop of the day was Atkins Reservoir, where the highlights were a Swamp Sparrow singing by one of the marshy pools off the south end, and a Field Sparrow singing in one of the fields further south.

As I’m typing this e-mail, back home in Amherst by Amethyst Brook Conservation Area, a Common Raven just croaked outside.

In case anyone’s interested, I decided to add up the various reports from yesterday's waterbird fallout across the four counties of western MA:
Bonaparte's Gull - 210
Little Gull - 2
Red-necked Grebe - 123
Horned Grebe - 335
Common Loon - 43 (probably more)
Bufflehead - 198
Long-tailed Duck - 134
White-winged Scoters - 20
Red-breasted Mergansers - 3
Ruddy Duck - 4
Scaup - 11 or 12 (9 Greater, 1 Lesser, 1-2 sp.)
Those totals might include a few double-counted birds, especially from Onota Lake, but not many....

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA