Date: 5/1/18 12:58 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Dunes, Beach & Hedge Area Tuesday 5-1-18
Welcome To May Bird People And May Has Come In With A Whoosh!

As advertised Montrose was a great place to be today. I had 65 species
but I wasted a lot of time looking for that damn Lark Sparrow & could
have had many more. Perhaps someone else will post a better list. I
had 2 species I wanted to see today which were Willet & Lark Sparrow.
Both were present at various times but I managed to miss both. Worst
was the Lark Sparrow which I missed by 5 min in the Butterfly Field &
then spent a lot of time trying to find it unsuccessfully. Later it
was seen again in the dunes near the pier so again I spent time
looking & not finding it. The Willets put in a short appearance near
the Dog Beach but I wasn't there when they did. Curses foiled again!

But I still had 20 new species for the year so I guess all is well.
I'll just report by species groups.

Shorebirds

Killdeer (4) & Semipalmated Plover (2)
Greater (1) & Lesser (6) Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Least (5) & Pectoral (2) Sandpipers
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (1, at least this one stuck around for me to see)

But the best shorebird was an UPLAND SANDPIPER seen in the dunes by Andrew A.
Wish I'd seen that one!

Gulls & Terns

Besides the usual Ring Billed (many) & Herring (few) Gulls was one
FRANKLIN'S GULL.
Also about 10 Caspian Terns.

Thrushes

I saw lots of Swainson's, 2 Veerys & 2 Hermits. Other birders also saw
Gray Cheeked & Wood.

Warblers

I saw 11 species which were Orange Crowned (1), Yellow (2), Myrtles,
Palms, Ovenbird (4),
Black Throated Green (2), Redstart (1-M), Bay Breasted (1-M), Northern
Waterthrush (2),
Common Yellowthroat (3) & a beautiful male HOODED. But seen by others
were Golden Winged,
Blue Winged, Nashville, Tennessee, Chestnut Sided, Black & White,
Blackburnian & who knows
what else?

Sparrows

I saw 7 species & maybe an 8th which were Chipping, Field, Savannah,
Song, Swamp, White Crowned & White Throated. Better yet others had
Clay Colored, LECONTES & NELSONS &, of course, the LARK. I certainly
did miss all the good ones! I may have seen a Lincoln's.

Other new year birds for me were Least Flycatcher, Blue Gray
Gnatcatcher, Catbird,
Rose Breasted Grosbeak & Warbling Vireo.

It was a good day even with all my misses & there were plenty of them!
I'll try again.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the fine looking Hooded Warbler & Runner-Up to the
Franklin's Gull.

License Plate Of The Day to the 2nd one from Maine that I have seen &
Runner-Up to
one from New Mexico both seen on Sheridan Road on the way home.

Al Stokie
Missing a lot of good stuff in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: