Date: 5/1/18 11:22 am
From: Ann Honeycutt <annhoneycutt53...>
Subject: Meanwhile in Birding...Letter to the Editor
Finally a lovely Letter to the Editor in today's* Arkansas Democrat-Gazette*
from our own Amy Hall of Cabot, printed here for your enjoyment.

*Meanwhile in Birding*

Like the editor of the Voices page, I too can't help but smile when I say
or hear certain words. Hmmm, have you ever heard of a bird-word-nerd?

Arkansas birders have reported recent sightings of Chuck-will's-widows,
Dickcissels, and Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks. What odd looking ducks
those are! Venture a little farther afield, and you might hear a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo or spy a Crested Caracara (it looks a bit like Moe
Howard of the Three Stooges). Coots are abundant, and loons have been
spotted on Lake Maumelle. Storks and snipe make an occasional appearance.
Too bad that boobies are coastal birds--that's a funny-sounding word!
Tropical birds are a real hoot--try to say Rufous-vented Chachalaca
(Tobago) or Keel-billed Toucan (Belize) without smiling.

Seeing these birds (even in photos) and saying their common names will lift
your mood and may just keep you out of a kerfuffle about the whole kit and
caboodle that's going on in politics.

Thanks, Amy, for raising our spirits today.

Ann

*Ann Honeycutt*
Little Rock, AR

Join us on Facebook!