Date: 5/1/18 11:15 am
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Big Marsh Shorebirds (5-1-18)
I received a message from Stephanie Beilke this morning (Tues, 5/1/18) indicating that the water control mechanism has been repaired at Big Marsh in SE Chicago, and a drawdown has been implemented there. In a nutshell, Big Marsh now has a huge mud flat which is full of shorebirds. I went straight to Big Marsh after receiving the message. I parked in the bike park lot, then followed the trail heading north until I found a vantage point from which I could scope the shorebirds. In no particular order, this is what I was able to count: 1 (f) WILSON'S PHALAROPE, 1 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, 1 DUNLIN, 40 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 4 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 37 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 26 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 1 WILSON'S SNIPE, 1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER, & 2 KILLDEER. The entrance gate to Big Marsh is located at 116th & Stony Island Avenue in Chicago. Stony Island is in the process of being repaved, so be very careful as you drive on Stony.

Walter Marcisz
Chicago, Cook Co.

Posted by: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...>

<*> Your email settings: