Date: 5/1/18 9:27 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Another Broad-winged Hawk nest in Fayetteville
Broad-winged Hawks are building a nest this morning in a residential neighborhood on a hillside with mature hardwood trees in northeast Fayetteville. They have already completed one nest in the same area; this is a second nest. They were actively carrying sticks and copulating this morning. Today’s observations involve the third nesting of which I am aware in urban Fayetteville. The first was in 2013 and also involved an urban neighborhood with mature forest. My assumption is that if I am personally aware of these 3, there are probably many others in Fayetteville since there is quite a bit of this habitat here. Before 2013, if I wanted to see Broad-winged Hawks in the nesting season, I went to Ozark National Forest, Buffalo National River, etc. I am also assuming this is an example of the theory advanced by John M. Marzluff in his book, “Welcome to Subirdia, sharing our neighborhoods with wrens, robins, woodpeckers, and other wildlife.” And Broad-winged Hawks.

Join us on Facebook!