Date: 5/1/18 8:37 am
From: Steven W. Cardiff <scardif...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] LOS Spring Meeting
Labirders-
Last weekend's LOS Spring Meeting at Cameron was a great success.
Although there weren't any blockbuster vagrants and the beaches were packed
with non-birders, everyone saw plenty of birds and the Friday and Saturday
night meetings were interesting and well attended. I want to especially
congratulate Dr. R. D. "Dan" Purrington, recipient of the 2018 George H.
Lowery Award. Well-deserved and overdue! We will post up the Saturday
bird list soon.

Donna Dittmann and I led the LOS Field Trip Series "Cameron Parish
Big Day" tour with 7 participants, which began at the Lacassine NWR HQ area
and subsequently visited other Cameron Parish locations including Lacassine
Pool, Sweet Lake, Rutherford Beach Road, Willow Island, and Davis Road/East
Jetty Beach. Although none of us saw every species, Donna and I had a
combined 155 species for the day, not bad given the distance covered, lack
of fallout conditions, and many "easy misses." Highlights were adult Bald
Eagle at Streeter Road, Northern Harrier at Lacassine Pool, Yellow-headed
Blackbirds at Sweet Lake, spectacular numbers of shorebirds at Rutherford
Beach Road, and Long-billed Curlew and Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Rec Center
fields) and Bronzed Cowbird at Willow Island. Of course, the group was
thrilled with point blank looks at Purple Gallinules, Wilson's Phalaropes,
Least Bitterns, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, Veery, Gray-cheeked, Swainson's
and Wood thrushes (on the lawn at Willow Island), and Dickcissels eating
mulberry fruit (Pine Pasture Road).

Cheers,

Steve Cardiff

Join us on Facebook!