Date: 5/1/18 7:41 am
From: Joe Tucker <000001df0ca37a3b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Rachael Carson and "enviro-fascists"
Bill, where did you get your crystal ball? I'd like to have one also! Seriously, what a sad doomsday attitude.

Since Carson's book, we have come a very long ways in cleaning up our corner of the earth, and that progress continues ... even under Trump (with some admitted set backs, of course, but it is still actual progress). Extinctions are a fact of life. Of course we should and do struggle to prevent them. We have every reason to believe that things will get better as many of the developing nations are now taking steps to at least slow down their polluting ways and the vast destruction of forest lands. As tot he earth's population, that myth was busted decades ago. Right now, the U.S. alone produces more than enough food to feed the entire world and we toss half of it in the garbage every year. The entire world's population could fit comfortably in an area the size of Texas. (do the math). We even have legitimate hope for the first time in my 71 years that we just might nowt have a thermonuclear war in my life-time .... maybe. Looks promising though. Iran and Islam is the worst threat now.

One thing to think about. While the world governments prevention of the use of DDT, thanks largely if not mostly to Carson, has given us back our raptors in numbers that they are now common place and may other birds and species, it has also led to the deaths of OVER 100 MILLION human lives!!! YES, true fact. DDT all but wiped out the malaria carrying mosquitoes in most parts of the planet, but once DDT was removed from use, the mosquitoes flourished again, and well over 100 million deaths have occurred because of the removal of the most effective insecticide. Many third world countries have reintroduced the use of DDT now and of course, they are seeing the same environmental results in those area we saw up through the 70's. So, how in your mind do we square that?