Date: 4/30/18 8:44 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Willowdale SF (east), Apr 30, 2018
Willowdale SF (east), Ipswich

Apr 30, 2018 10:05 AM - 12:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: I walked about a 3-mile, 3-hour loop from the Topsfield Rd. side in dreary weather--apparently the last cool day for awhile. I walked at birding speed (about 1 mph) but wasn't hearing many of the species I was hoping for. I was bemoaning the relative lack of variety when, almost back to my car, I heard the highlight of the day sing from Gravelly Brook--a Louisiana waterthrush. This bird is special to me in Willowdale because I hear it so seldom there: this was only the 5th year I have heard one there, the last time in 2001. (I may have another record or two before 1990 that I have not yet entered in ebird.) In contrast to northern waterthrushes, which breed in many of the swamps in the forest, the LOWA to my knowledge has not bred there, though the spot along Gravelly Brook where I have heard all of them is so choked with vegetation that it is difficult to watch the streambed and I could easily have missed any nesting event.
35 species (+1 other taxon); partial list:

Mute Swan 2 perennial nesting pair on the big beaver pond next to Rt. 1
Mourning Dove 11
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 3 none seen
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
Tree Swallow 40 Swallow numbers are estimates, as the birds were zooming around and impossible to count. I looked in vain for any with buffy rumps or breast bands. All swallows were foraging over the big beaver pond.
Barn Swallow 8
Black-capped Chickadee 19
Tufted Titmouse 16
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Brown Creeper 2
Winter Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Ovenbird 4 These birds were spread wide apart and sang very infrequently, which may be why I didn't hear more of them. This does not seem like a high count for the date, as these birds usually arrive in numbers the last few days of April. All songs were the normal "teacher-teacher" type.
Louisiana Waterthrush 1 I heard him sing 3 or 4 times and had excellent looks at him.
Northern Waterthrush 1
Palm Warbler (Yellow) 3
Pine Warbler 9 No carrying of nest material seen, though one of the females was foraging on the ground.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 20
Chipping Sparrow 16
Song Sparrow 5
Purple Finch 2 Both birds sang within hearing of each other; one was an adult male (seen), the other I just heard.
American Goldfinch 12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45112585

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!