Date: 4/30/18 7:10 pm
From: m b via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Use of playback to see birds
Luckily, it doesn't matter what any given person thinks about using playback. Especially using it for a non important reason like getting to see a life bird, as opposed to conducting a census.

The aba has ethics guidelines, which include guidelines on playback. Getting that photo or getting to see a bird you'd like to see does not an exception create. The fact of habitat loss and other awful contributors to species decline is not an excuse to do whatever one wants.

Habitat loss, et.al, simply means that, in addition to whatever we can do to create conservation easements and other methods of preserving habitat, it is even more important that we not stress birds who are already stressed.

Birds do not need to spend precious energy reacting to a recorded potential territory invader so that someone can get their photo or see a bird. They need to spend their energy feeding, nesting, migrating, etc. Unless one is conducting research or a census, playback is just for the human, not for the bird. If we get to see them, good for us. If we don't, oh well. Imho, using their declining habitat as a reason to further stress them is a straw man.

And if anyone disagrees with the aba, whose guidelines are even less stringent than the views I expressed here, fine. Just don't contact me about it. Contact them.

Given the personal comments I received last time this topic came up, the demands that I disclose my address, the stalking, and all the other insane rants that came my way for daring to express a view on this topic, all emails to me on this topic will be deleted unread.

Good birding to all, and let's all try not to be selfish if we can.

Mb from nova