Date: 4/30/18 6:43 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Cliff Swallow Colonies and Whip-poor-will in CENLA
Did my bird walk around Industrial Street in southern Alexandria while getting my truck serviced this morning. Last year, there was a Cliff Swallow colony on one of the bridges at the two ends of the street. These cross a "diversion" canal. Today, there were remains of mud nests with a few Barn Swallows either using or renovating them. I've seen this situation before where one year there are many, many Cliff Swallow nests on bridge structure and the following year, nothing but deteriorating mud nests. Seems to be an interesting situation.

About 8:07 PM tonight, pretty dark here at Cotile Lake in NW Rapides Parish, I made a cast and was reeling in my lure when I could swear I was hearing an Eastern Whip-poor-will calling from out over the southeast arm of the lake. Well, as luck would have it, a nice white perch (black crappie) struck and I didn't have time to stop and pull out my iphone and play the call/song. Did land the fish! My attention was diverted by the fish - supper Wednesday night - but the bird was clearly flying and calling covering some hundreds of yards in front of me.

Jay Huner

Join us on Facebook!