Date: 4/30/18 6:18 pm
From: Susan Hedman <2winterwren...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Manchester BBC Walk part 2
Coolidge Reservation--West Beach, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 29, 2018 6:00 PM - 7:39 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Drove on Ocean Street to look for Oystercatchers I had seen
at 4:30 at low tide feeding in the exposed mud on our way to Coolidge
Point. We stood on the west end of the property on the beach looking out to
Kettle Island where there is a large nesting population of birds. The birds
flying over head gave us a great show.
28 species

Brant (Branta bernicla) 40
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 4
Common Eider (Somateria mollissima) 15
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 12
Common Loon (Gavia immer) 1
Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus) 1
DouDouble-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 8
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 38
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) 87
Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) 6
Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) 34 A couple flyovers, but something
started the Ibis flock on the island and a large flock flew up out of the
trees and then settled back
American Oystercatcher (Haematopus palliatus) 3 We saw 2 birds feeding
in mud flats and later saw one on the island..could be one of the same birds
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 1
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 60
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 15
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis) 2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 2
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 15
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 10
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45124395

Susan Hedman, Gloucester
"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Join us on Facebook!