Date: 4/30/18 6:04 pm
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Central Iowa birding
Diane Dentlinger, Lynn Marsh and I did a big loop through Central Iowa
today. We visited Saylorville, Big Creek, Jester, Dunbar Slough and Bay's
Branch. Despite the horrible conditions, we tallied 116 species. I had 26
FOYs! 7 warbler species included a GOLDEN-WINGED back in the sycamores at
Cottonwood. Surprises at Jester were a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and a NORTHERN
MOCKINGBIRD at Campground #4. AMERICAN BITTERN and VIRGINIA RAIL were at
Dunbar. Lynn picked out an UPLAND SANDPIIPER in a pasture along the dirt
road that runs along the north side of Bay's Branch. The LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
perched on a fence along 190th at Bay's Branch with nary a tree nor bush in
sight was very odd. It was a tough day to be out, but turned out to be
worth it.

Denny Thompson

Johnston