Date: 4/30/18 3:49 pm
From: David Williams <davewilliams8...>
Subject: Nice yard birds in Leavenworth County
I’ve been gone for five days and had two nice yard birds coming home to our place in Leavenworth County. Flushing an American Bittern from the edge of the pond was interesting. I didn’t see it until it flew. It seemed unfortunate to move him off his spot but there are several small ponds around and it will settle elsewhere.

The hummingbird feeder had gone down while I was gone and I saw at least one male today. But the first bird that I saw use the feeder was an oriole, and it was an Orchard Oriole male. I hope he comes back. Baltimore Orioles are present also.

Otherwise it was fairly quiet in the yard this morning. The only migrant of interest was Swainson’s Thrush. I haven’t had our first Parula, Nashville or Yellow Warbler yet.

I spent four days in Roaring River State Park near Cassville MO chasing warblers with my brother Jerry, his wife Marge and other friends. Jerry posted some details daily on the MoBirds list and I’ll put some thoughts on the Burroughs Facebook site. Look to those sites for details as we finished with 24 species of warblers and other great birds.

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County KS
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to