Date: 4/30/18 3:09 pm
From: melius <mmelius...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] FOY birds, Badlands region
I birded in the Badlands NP South Unit and nearby areas of Oglala
Lakota Co. in the past 24 hours, and found quite a few FOY birds.
Thunderstorms in the area last night probably helped, as there were
fair numbers of warblers and sparrows this morning.
At White River/Badlands NP: Swainson's Hawk, Spotted Sandpiper, Cliff
Swallow, Rock Wren
At Kyle Dam: W. Grebe, Brown Thrasher, Common Yellowthroat, O-c
Warbler
Elsewhere in Kyle area: NRW Swallow, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, and
Lark, White-crowned, and Clay-colored Sparrows.
Most of these FOY dates are about normal in my experience, while the
YEWA may be my earliest. That yellow bird really lit up trees that are
still brown and gray.
I also found an E. Phoebe carrying nest material under a bridge. A
Ferruginous Hawk near Scenic was a treat. I saw lots of prairie dog
towns but no Burrowing Owls. I have yet to see a Black-billed Magpie
this year.
Michael Melius
Folsom

Join us on Facebook!