Date: 4/30/18 2:49 pm
From: Jon King <jonking271...>
Subject: Clinton Lake 4/30
Today Matt Longabaugh and I birded Clinton Lake for the first two or so
hours of the day. The main purpose of our visit was to observe morning
flight of nocturnal migrants, and flight of diurnal migrants at the
southern end of the dam. Southerly winds push the northbound birds into the
lakeshore, where they hesitate to cross, and are funneled around the
southern end of the dam.

Quite a few birds were on the move last night (per radar), continuing into
this morning. The highlight of the morning was of course the Blue Jay
flight. In the hour or so after sunrise I saw ~1600 individuals flying by.
We stopped by an hour later, after checking out the state park and before
departing for the day, and they were still coming. Several thousand easily
passed the southeastern corner of the lake today. Blue Jay flight seems to
be a reliable phenomenon here. Peak flights from years past were 3,640 in 3
hours (2016), and 3,270 in 1 hour and 47 minutes (2017). Additional
migrants flying by the point included warblers (~50), Dickcissels (~50),
Baltimore Orioles (~5), Red-winged Blackbirds (~100, all female),
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Savannah Sparrow, Indigo Bunting, Swainson's
Thrush, Eastern Kingbird, Summer Tanager, Solitary Sandpiper, and more. We
were probably too early to observe many raptors, although a single
Sharp-shinned and Broad-winged Hawk did pass by. Also nice was a male
Painted Bunting at the southern end of the dam. I'm assuming it will
establish a territory.

Later in the day, I stopped by my parents house (east Lawrence). Quite a
few birds were FOS there today. It seems that last night's southerly winds
brought Yellow Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Tennessee Warbler,
Black-and-White Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole, and
Indigo Buntings to the neighborhood, which had been scarce to non-existant
in the preceding days.

Jon King
Lawrence, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html