Date: 4/30/18 2:30 pm
From: 'Chris Edwards' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Cone Marsh, Louisa Co.
I came across a mini-fallout of passerines at Cone Marsh today. On a loop
around the marsh, I stopped at the boat ramp in the NW corner and thought I
would make a quick check of the woods since they were sheltered from the
wind. There were so many birds I spent over two hours there! Most numerous
were ~40 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, ~30 PALM WARBLERS, and WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS. Also present were LEAST FLYCATCHER, GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER,
EASTERN KINGBIRD, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, HOUSE WREN, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER,
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, WOOD THRUSH, GRAY CATBIRD, NORTHERN
WATERTHRUSH, PROTHONOTARY WARBLER (my gosh, is there a more beautiful
bird?!), NASHVILLE WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN PARULA, YELLOW
WARBLER, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, SUMMER TANAGER, and ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.
The Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers were singing but most of the birds were
quietly feeding. Near the boat ramp was a SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

Elsewhere at the marsh, in the NW corner a flock of ~225 GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GEESE contained a few ROSS'S GEESE and SNOW GEESE.

From the NE corner of the marsh near the caboose, among the hundreds of
distant shorebirds were 12 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS and 7 SEMIPALMATED
PLOVERS, and also present were a TRUMPETER SWAN, a pair of SANDHILL CRANES
at a nest, and along the road a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD.

At the south end of the marsh the shorebirds included 39 LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHERS. A SORA was heard along the dike.

In Johnson County, a pair of NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS was at the traditional
field NW of Johnson-Muscatine Ave. and 500th Street SE.

Chris Edwards
Solon, IA
<credwards...>