Date: 4/30/18 2:28 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Western mass waterbird fallout continued
Hi MassBirders,

After my MassBird post yesterday, I made a quick stop at Tri-town Beach and found a pair of Bufflehead. eBird has started tagging the species as noteworthy…

Other reports that came in later from yesterday’s big fallout:

Richmond Pond, Pittsfield: 9 Red-necked Grebes, 34 Horned Grebes, 2 White-winged Scoters, 42 Bonaparte’s Gulls (Gael Hurley) 1 Little Gull (Ken Schopp)

Pontoosuc Lake, Pittsfield: 111 Bufflehead, 40 Long-tailed Ducks, 6 Greater Scaup, 2 Horned Grebes (Gael Hurley)

Stockbridge Bowl: 15 Red-necked Grebes, 25 Horned Grebes, 23 Bufflehead (Greg Ward)

Laurel Lake, Lee: 14 Horned Grebe, 1 Bonaparte’s Gull (Ken Schopp)

Ludlow Reservoir: 1 Red-necked Grebe, 2 Horned Grebes (Dorrie Holmes), 7 Bufflehead, 4 Ruddy Duck (Steve Motyl)

Pequot Pond, Hampden: 10 Red-necked Grebes, 6 Horned Grebes (Bob & Lura Bieda)

Congamond lakes, Southwick: 3 Red-necked Grebes, 3 Greater Scaup, 6 Bufflehead (Dorrie Holmes)

Horse Pond at Hampton Ponds: 10 Red-necked Grebes, 6 Horned Grebes (Dorrie Holmes)

Longmeadow Flats: 3 Bufflehead and a Great Egret (Rachel Baum & Dan Burton)

Winsor Dam on the Quabbin: 18 White-winged Scoters, 21 Long-tailed Ducks, 8 Buffleheads, 11 Common Loons, zero grebes of any species (Larry Therrien)

Lake Mattawa, Orange: 4 Long-tailed Duck (Bill Lafley)

Lake Wyola, Shutesbury: 7 Bufflehead (Bill Lafley)

——————————————————————————————————————————————

While most of yesterday’s waterbird fallout cleared out of the area as the weather improved, a few bodies of water still have impressive numbers of birds around, particularly grebes, and especially up in the Berkshires. Haven’t heard any reports from the Quabbin since yesterday. Reported today:

Pontoosuc Lake, Pittsfield: 47 Red-necked Grebes, 91 Horned Grebes, 14 Common Loons (Gael Hurley)

Onota Lake, Pittsfield: 16 Red-necked Grebes, 97 Horned Grebes, 18 Common Loons, 16 Long-tailed Ducks, 4 Bonaparte’s Gulls (Gael Hurley)

Pelham Lake, Rowe: 4 Red-necked Grebes, 19 Horned Grebes (Chris Hyytinen)

Great Pond, Hatfield: 3 Green Herons plus continuing 2 Blue-winged Teal and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs (Joe Olivero)

Branch Bridge Causeway, Lake Rohunta: 30 Ring-necked Ducks (Dave Small). However, as pointed out by Bill Lafley in an eBird post yesterday, these birds were probably not newcomers who fell out due to the cold front, but stragglers of the much larger group which had been in this location over the past few weeks, including counts of 114 on 4-18 (Lafley), 188 on 4-16 (Greg Watkevitch), and a high of 257 on 3-31 (Ernie LeBlanc).

While I didn’t have time for any intensive birding today, as long as I was dropping the kids off at school a block and a half away, I swung by Riverview Drive on the Gill side of Barton Cove for a few minutes. A lovely drake Red-breasted Merganser was swimming out in the middle of the cove, all alone; I thought once again of all of the time I spent sifting through big rafts of Commons earlier in the spring searching in vain for one of these… anyway. A trio of Bufflehead were also present.

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA