Date: 4/30/18 2:19 pm
From: Matt Brady <podoces...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] LSUMNS Big Day results
Hello all. On April 26th, three LSUMNS grad student (Glaucia Del Rio, Oscar
Johnson, and myself) and an undergrad (Marky Mutchler) ran our annual
LSUMNS big day fundraiser. It was a great day, and despite missing a suite
of pretty easy species, we ended up with a total of 204 species. A detailed
account will follow in the LSUMNS newsletter, but briefly we started at
midnight in Baton Rouge with an American Robin and other stake-out and
nocturnal species (including a long-staying Greater White-fronted Goose),
made a few stops at Whiskey Bay and in the Rice Country, then were in
Kisatchie National Forest for dawn. Our first really big highlight was a
surprise fallout of migrants at Kincaid Reservoir: in 62 minutes we managed
to record 62 species, including large numbers of Baltimore Orioles, several
Warbling Vireos, large numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers (our only ones of
the day) among 14 species of warblers, and a selection of other migrants.
Along Castor Plunge Road, we recorded a Nashville Warbler, one of only a
handful of spring records from central Louisiana. By the time we left
Woodworth at 8:30, we were already over 100 species. We then dropped down
to the rice country via US 165, where we added a number of other species
(but not the hoped-for shorebirds), including a female Brewer's Blackbird
and a Franklin's Gull along Patterson Road, and a big flock (~1000) of
Fulvous Whistling-Ducks on Cormier Village Road. South of I-10, we picked
up a few additional species along Fruge, and a few more at Cameron Prairie
NWR. We made it to the coast by 12:45, and added most of the usual migrants
as we hit the usual coastal hotspots (Oak Grove, Rutherford Beach, Willow
Island, East Jetty, Peveto). By 5:30, we were on our way to Lighthouse
Woods (securing permission for this restricted access site well in
advance), but were tragically turned back at the security checkpoint due to
a fire at the nearby Cheniere LNG facility. At this point we had little
hope of shooting for the record (221 species), so we opted to go back to
Peveto to comb through the abundance of migrants a little more thoroughly.
A heard only Swamp Sparrow near the pond was our last species of the day.

Our complete list can be found here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45008405. If you look closely, you'll
note some of our bad misses, including: Anhinga, Black-crowned Night-Heron,
Glossy Ibis, American Golden-Plover, Marbled Godwit, Dunlin(!),
White-rumped Sandpiper(!!), Gull-billed Tern, Northern Rough-winged
Swallow, Worm-eating Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler,
Bobolink, and Bronzed Cowbird. With a bit of luck, the record could have
been within our grasp. Despite this, we still had a great time, and managed
to see a very nice selection of Louisiana's birdlife in a relatively short
amount of time. Thank you to all who donated!

Good birding,

Matt Brady and the 2018 LSUMNS team
Baton Rouge

Join us on Facebook!