Date: 4/30/18 1:22 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Birder's Weekend coming up at Devil's Den State Park
This coming weekend is annual Birder's Weekend at Devil's Den State Park. Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society is involved on Saturday morning birding, starting 9 AM. Here is the full schedule for Saturday, May 5 (also more on Fay and Sunday). Our Saturday walk is slow and easy, and usually very birdy. Karen Garrett (who found the Gray-headed Junco at Hobbs last month) is leading a bunch of other field trips.

SATURDAY, MAY 5

7:00 – 8:30 a.m. MAYFIELD BIRD WATCH Many birds enjoy the close proximity to Lee Creek and the varied terrain of the Mayfield Area. Join birding expert Karen Garrett to hear who uses this varied habitat and to see who takes flight! Bring your binoculars for this great birding opportunity. Meet at the Mayfield Area down Hwy 220.

9:00 – 10:30 a.m. CREEKSIDE BIRD WALK – Join Joe Neal and the Arkansas Audubon Society for an easy bird walk in the park. We will start at the Highway Bridge by the Devil’s Den Trailhead as we walk along the creek looking for birds. If you have binoculars please bring them as we have a limited amount to loan out.

10:00 – 11:00 BIRD GAMES FOR THE FAMILY Join bird expert Karen Garrett in the Visitor Center Audio-Visual room and try out some fun bird games. Test your bird knowledge as you learn more about our beautiful flying friends.

11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. DESIGN YOUR OWN BIRD Birds come in all shape and sizes. Some also have quite unique features. Join Park Interpreter Terry and let your imagination run wild as you create and name your own special bird! Meet in the Visitor Center Audio-Visual room for your artistic experience.

1:00 – 2:00 p.m. LIVE BIRDS OF PREY Nothing quite compares to the chance of meeting a real hawk or owl up close and personal! So bring the family and all your questions to learn more about Arkansas’s Birds of Prey as Lynn Sciumbato from Morning Star Wildlife Rehabilitation gives you that up close view. Bring your camera and meet at the Amphitheater near Area E. (In case of inclement weather, we will meet at the Visitor Center Audio-Visual room).

4:00 – 4:30 p.m. A BIRD’S BUFFET Which bird eats what? Join Park Interpreter Mystina to play a fun activity while discovering how different birds use their specialized beaks to eat certain foods. Meet in the Visitor Center Audio-Visual Room.

8:00 – 9:00 p.m. “IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS” - Come and join birder, and photographer ,Karen Garrett at the amphitheater to learn about flying objects that you might see in the Northwest Arkansas area. This should also be an opportunity to hear Chuck-will’s-widow and possibly a Barred Owl.

Join us on Facebook!