Date: 4/30/18 12:18 pm
From: Lynn Foster <lfoster5211...>
Subject: Re: overrun with orioles
NW of Pinnacle Mtn, and south of Roland, just off Hwy 300, my
several-doors-away neighbor and I have been having a contest over orioles
and grosbeaks. I got the first orioles about a week ago and have spotted at
least 4 males and two females.
She has a few more that showed up a day or two later. We're feeding them
oranges. She feeds hers grape jelly and I'm cutting up grapes for
mine--both are gobbled up. They drink the same sugar water as do
hummingbirds--one part sugar to 4 parts water.
She has been seeing grosbeaks for about 4 days and I just spotted my first
pair, male and female, at my feeders this morning.

As a child growing up in Chicago I had the paperback Zim bird book. I
nearly had it memorized, not that I ever saw anything except for sparrows,
pigeons, and robins. I always hoped I would see a Baltimore oriole and a
grosbeak.
And now--I'm living that dream. Just. . . . wow.

My goldfinches are still here--this is the first year they've stayed so
long. Do others have the same situation, and are there any theories why?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Jerry Davis <jwdavis...> wrote:

> Male and female Rosebreasted Grosbeaks have been at my feeders for a week
> and male Baltimore orioles have been here for 4 days. They started off
> using the hummingbird feeders like the Downy and Redbellied woodpeckers do
> and now they are feasting on orange halves.
>
> Jerry Wayne Davis
> Hot Springs
>

> This must be a very good year for orioles - and Rose-breasted
> > grosbeaks. We've had several grosbeaks at our feeder over a number of
> > days, and probably two different male Baltimore Orioles on different
> > days. Today at Woolsey, rather unexpectedly, Donald Ouellette and I saw
> > a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak (I believe the first I've ever seen
> > there) and had several sightings of at least 2 Baltimore Orioles.
> > Donald is certain there were many more, as they all were coming from one
> > direction and leaving in the opposite. There may have been a female
> > Orchard Oriole, but id uncertain. I love it when these lovely birds are
> > here in numbers in spring.
> >
> > Joanie

Join us on Facebook!