Date: 4/30/18 10:33 am
From: Jay Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Cerulean Warbler Acadia Par. 4/28 Srikes
I was in the Jeff Davis landfill area and northward on La 192 into Allen Parish. I probably saw 4-5 shrikes but didn’t record them. Similar number in Fruge Road region in Calcasieu Parish.

Today had two maybe three shrikes I the Industrial Street area of urban Alexandria. Louisiana.

Jay Huner

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 30, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Steven W. Cardiff <scardif...> wrote:
>
> How many Loggerhead Shrikes?
>
> Donna and I cruised through Jeff DAvis on Friday afternoon and Saturday and
> had zero shrikes. Finally saw a few along Rossignol and Fruge and then
> they are somewhat more conspicuous along the immediate coast. Scary.
>
> Steve Cardiff
>
>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM, James V Remsen <najames...> wrote:
>>
>> LABIRD: Given the unusually high number of land bird migrants inland in
>> Louisiana, I decided to spend Saturday looking for them in Acadia and Jeff
>> Davis parishes, both of which suffer from sampling artifacts in terms of
>> few records of land bird migrants. As just one example, Jeff. Davis has no
>> spring record of Magnolia or Am. Redstart!
>>
>> As expected, volume was low. Quality, however, made up for that in terms
>> of a male Cerulean Warbler, 1 Philadelphia and 1 Warbling Vireo, and 1
>> Scissor-tailed in Acadia, and Chestnut-sideds in both Acadia and Jeff.
>> Davis.
>>
>> Additional migrants: INBU 8, Red-eyed 7, Catbird 6, Blue Grosbeak 5,
>> Rose-breasted Grosbeak 4, Summer Tanager 4, Baltimore Oriole 3, 2 each of
>> Ruby-throat, Acadian F., Swainson’s Thrush, Wood Thrush, Black-and-white,
>> and singles of Tennessee, Yellow W., Chat, Scarlet Tanager, Orchard
>> Oriole. If I’d been able to get out there a couple of days earlier,
>> warbler totals would likely have been higher.
>>
>> Also of minor interest: a likely new Cave Swallow breeding site in
>> southern Acadia.
>>
>> Shorebirds: remarkably scarce, as has been my impression all spring. As
>> noted by Matt and others, good habitat is increasingly scarce, but even
>> fields that looked like they should be loaded were nearly devoid of birds.
>>
>> Van Remsen

>> Dr. J. V. Remsen
>> Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
>> Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
>> LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
>> najames<at>LSU.edu

Join us on Facebook!