Date: 4/30/18 9:29 am
From: James V Remsen <najames...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Cerulean Warbler Acadia Par. 4/28
LABIRD: Given the unusually high number of land bird migrants inland in Louisiana, I decided to spend Saturday looking for them in Acadia and Jeff Davis parishes, both of which suffer from sampling artifacts in terms of few records of land bird migrants. As just one example, Jeff. Davis has no spring record of Magnolia or Am. Redstart!

As expected, volume was low. Quality, however, made up for that in terms of a male Cerulean Warbler, 1 Philadelphia and 1 Warbling Vireo, and 1 Scissor-tailed in Acadia, and Chestnut-sideds in both Acadia and Jeff. Davis.

Additional migrants: INBU 8, Red-eyed 7, Catbird 6, Blue Grosbeak 5, Rose-breasted Grosbeak 4, Summer Tanager 4, Baltimore Oriole 3, 2 each of Ruby-throat, Acadian F., Swainson’s Thrush, Wood Thrush, Black-and-white, and singles of Tennessee, Yellow W., Chat, Scarlet Tanager, Orchard Oriole. If I’d been able to get out there a couple of days earlier, warbler totals would likely have been higher.

Also of minor interest: a likely new Cave Swallow breeding site in southern Acadia.

Shorebirds: remarkably scarce, as has been my impression all spring. As noted by Matt and others, good habitat is increasingly scarce, but even fields that looked like they should be loaded were nearly devoid of birds.

Van Remsen

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu

Join us on Facebook!