Date: 4/30/18 5:51 am
From: Anita Blasius <ibblazin...>
Subject: [birders] Lucky Loon in Canton
With so many Loons being reported, I may have missed a post on this one but
there's a Loon on the pond behind the Summit recreation building in Canton.
According to another park visitor, it has been there several days. The pond
has fish in it and the bird was fishing successfully and apparently enjoying
a hearty meal. The pond is fairly long so it should have plenty of "runway"
for a take-off. It didn't seem to be much disturbed by the number of people
out enjoying the day, walking, biking, and roller blading around the pond.
Several people stopped to ask what my husband and I were looking at (they're
used to seeing Mallards and Canadas) so it was a nice bonus to talk to folks
who were truly interested.

There's a fishing derby next weekend so all the activity may scare the bird
away if it doesn't leave before then. In the meantime, it seems to be
healthy and in a good spot for a rest stop on the way north.

Anita in Canton

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/002701d3e081%24f988a000%24ec99e000%24%40net.