Date: 4/30/18 5:36 am
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] 7 warbler species Goshen Pass, Rockbridge Co
All - I went out to Goshen Pass yesterday to look for warblers. Goshen Pass is in the western part of Rockbridge Co and includes the forests along the Maury River and Calfpasture and Little Calfpasture Rivers. As a caution, much of Goshen Pass is a DGIF wildlife management area, so valid hunting/fishing licenses or Access Permit are required to be on the wildlife management lands. I only birded in the forests, so I'm sure I missed a number of species that would be lurking along the rivers. I headed back some of the hunter access roads and was hoping to get Prairie Warblers, but all I got was ticks in an area that has had PRWA for a number of years. I would guess the PRWA haven't arrived in Goshen yet. The two trails I birded were west of the pass and our local landmark, the swinging bridge. The first is about mile from the bridge and is on the left as you head west. The gate to this trail is closed, but it is easy walking. The second place was the hunter access - Guys Run Rd - just past the Boy Scout camp. The gate was open for Turkey hunters but it may be closed soon. I drove a couple of miles up the road stopping periodically and walking along the road. The road is gravel and is in good shape, so almost any car could go up it.

Here's what I saw/heard:

Pine Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Ovenbird
Hooded Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
Field Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Eastern Phoebe
Blue-headed Vireo
Common Raven
Red-shouldered Hawk
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Surprisingly, no Indigo Buntings, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, or Red-eyed Vireos. On the Calfpasture River by the scout camp were 2 pairs of Common Mergansers - they might breed here again this year.

Here are some photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept.