Date: 4/30/18 4:24 am
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Weekend Henslow's, Sora
Hey I-birders,

We got out and birded this weekend, of course. Highlights included
at least two HENSLOW'S SPARROWS at Red Feather Prairie (E side of
Saylorville Lake, Polk Co.) FIELD SPARROWS were about as well, and an
OSPREY put in an appearance.

At the Des Moines River yesterday morning we had CAROLINA WREN,
BROAD-WINGED HAWK, COOPER'S HAWK, and BARRED OWL. A truly unexpected
bird was a SORA sounding off in the small reed bed on the pond next to
the Tai Village site. These cattails have been improving little by
little as habitat over the years, and now we get regular Swamp
Sparrows, the occasional Green Heron as well as Marsh Wren in
migration, but Sora was not expected in this meager patch. Yet it
must have looked good enough for a tired Sora needing a place to
shelter and rest up.

Trees are leafing out. Can warblers be on their way?

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines