Date: 4/29/18 7:54 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: F.O.Y., Marmet Locks: Willet, NOWA
First Of Year Sightings.

15:30, Sunday, April 29th, 2018
Marmet Locks, Belle, WV.

Northern Waterthrush (1). yellowish wash on flanks.

Willet (49). They were on the rocks at the Fisherman’s Lot. I went back later to see if they were still there, but alas, they were not. During my second visit, a couple of fishermen with whom I talked said they saw about a hundred of them this morning. The birds flew away when they went by but circled back.
Photos of the Willets are on the following checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45091759 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45091759>

None of them flew for me so I wasn’t able to observe their distinctive wing pattern. I.D. is based solely on the photos. Large straight black beak. White eye-ring. Gray/brown mottling. Long gray legs. Large sandpiper looking bird-about twice as large as the recently observed Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers at this location.

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co., WV

Join us on Facebook!