Date: 4/29/18 7:33 pm
From: candace69001 <candace69001...>
Subject: [ia-bird] IOU Field Trip to SE Iowa
I really enjoyed the IOU field trip to Shimek and Lacey-Keo SP; thanks to
the organizers and field trip leaders and to all who attended. It was fun
to meet new birders and to introduce some to these great birding hotspots
that I enjoy visiting. The birds were not as numerous today as they
normally are--but come May when warbler migration is in full-swing, these
birding areas will be hopping!

This posting is not a complete list of all species seen by the smaller
group, just some highlights.

Ely Ford at Lacy-Keosauqua S.P. did not disappoint:

Yellow-throated Warbler
Northern Parula
Palm Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Eastern Towhee
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
Purple Finch
Singing Carolina Wren
White-throated Sparrow

Shimek:
Broad-winged Hawk flyover (Martin Pond)
Tufted Titmouse (Donnellson Unit)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Donnellson Unit)
White-eyed Vireo (Croton Unit--very good looks at this bird)
Carolina Wren (Croton)
Tufted Titmouse (Croton)
Brown Creeper (Croton)
Purple and Am. Goldfinches (Croton)
White-throated Sparrow
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

Farmington Unit right off Hwy 2 on my own--I struck out on the Pine Warbler
but heard and saw another Yellow-throated Warbler (kind of a surprise for
me at that location). I also saw a very cooperative Ruby-crowned Kinglet at
Bitternut Lake (Farmington Unit off of County Road W46--Bitternut Lake
campground has been a good place to see Pileated Woodpeckers in past years).

I saw on Ebird that Eric Ollie found 3 Pine Warblers in the Farmington
Unit! Thanks for sharing that on ebird; I noted the GPS point for that
sighting and will check it out next time I am in Van Buren County. I am
glad that someone in our group got to see that species.

Thanks again for providing this birding opportunity. I am really looking
forward to the IOU Spring meeting in Sioux City--got my dorm room booked
and I am excited to bird a corner of the state that I haven't birded much.
Much fun awaits...join us May 18-20th.

Candace Havely
Waterloo
Black Hawk County