Date: 4/29/18 6:36 pm
From: Anne Williams <awilliam...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] pileated woodpecker, Lewiston
A pileated woodpecker has been foraging in a dead tree in the couple of
acres of woods behind my house, and making quite a racket. No signs of
excavating nearby, so I assume the nest is some distance away.

Does anyone know how far a pileated might fly for food?
My house is between Thorncrag sanctuary (a mile away) and the Androscoggin
River (half a mile away). But otherwise this part of Lewiston is pretty
well filled with houses.
Anne Williams