Date: 4/29/18 5:05 pm
From: 'Chris Anderson' <canderson1...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] SFBC field trip results
Yesterday we had 13 birders partake in the Sioux Falls Bird Club field trip,
visiting various wetlands within Sioux Falls and in western Minnehaha
County. It was a beautiful day with little wind, and we found 80 species.
One particular highlight included Common Loons at three different locations
(Lake Lorraine and the westside Sanford Wellness Center in Sioux Falls, and
Wall Lake west of town); we've definitely had more loons observed in the
Sioux Falls area this spring than in past years. Wall Lake also had a Horned
Grebe and an Osprey.

There were a few Swamp Sparrows at Dewey Gevik, and Savannah and Vesper
Sparrows have come back to the area in numbers as well. At Grass Lake, there
were a few Forster's Terns, and we got some fleeting views of five
White-faced Ibises at the shooting club on the opposite side of the road.

Shorebirds were pretty few and far between, but we did see Greater and
Lesser Yellowlegs, surprisingly few Killdeer, a Spotted Sandpiper, and three
American Avocets (thanks to Terry Sohl for directions to those). Hopefully
they are still on their way.

Our next club outing will be to Union Grove State Park near Beresford on
Saturday, May 12.

Chris Anderson
Sioux Falls, SD

Full species list for the day:

Snow Goose
Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Pintail
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Ring-necked Pheasant
Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
American White Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk (Krider's)
American Coot
American Avocet
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Ring-billed Gull
Franklin's Gull
Forster's Tern
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Vesper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Posted by: "Chris Anderson" <canderson1...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)