Date: 4/29/18 3:27 pm
From: Ann Johnson <aj...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Southern Iowa Birding
It was an interesting day. I started out at Mine Pond in Stephen's State
Forest (Lucas Co.) hoping for a few early warblers. I had exactly one - an
expected Louisiana Waterthrush. Other than that, not even a Yellow-rumped
but I did find my first of the spring Swainson's Thrush. I then headed for
the Kellerton Grasslands (Ringgold Co.), hoping for a few grassland species.
The only bird of note was a gorgeous Rough-legged Hawk. That seems a tad
late for southern Iowa. I may have picked up the call of a Henslow's Sparrow
but the wind was playing tricks with sound. In Decatur Co. I made a loop
through the Dekalb WA but the woods were quiet. At the end of the road,
however, was my first Eastern Kingbird of the year. A quick stop at Jensen
Marsh (Madison Co.) produced the expected waterfowl and shorebirds. The
final stop of the day was at Bank Swallow Bend (Warren Co.) which has had a
nice variety of shorebirds this spring. Hoping for a nice turnover in
individuals, I scanned the mudflats and shallow water and only came up with
turtles! The species list was pretty scant and somewhat puzzling but it was
a beautiful day to get out.

Ann Johnson

Norwalk, IA 50211