Date: 4/29/18 2:08 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Southeastern NH (SLOW for landbirds)
Jane and I worked the landbirds a bit harder today.  Hoping to find a
"gold nugget", but we came up empty.  Glad to see that there was a
fallout inland, because the coastal corridor was dead.  We walked around
Odiorne early and it was VERY dead for land birds with the highlight
being 3 Palm Warblers and a latish Winter Wren.  Couldn't even find a
single kinglet or Gnatcatcher and the only other warbler in the park
were a few Pines.  24 Green-winged Teal, however, was unusual and my
highest total for the park ever.  Then we worked inland when the rain
started and searched for early migrants....no luck anywhere.  We barely
managed a few year birds including:

Louisiana Waterthush - 1 (FOY) singing away at Oyster River Park (not
Oyster River Forest) in traditional spot.
House Wren - 3 (FOY) total from Newmarket and Durham area
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1 (FOY) from Bartlett Road Swam in Kensington.
None at a couple of other traditional spots.

Also a Northern Waterthrush (my 2nd for the year) in East Kingston, but
none in Kensington at breeding spot.

I often use the end of May as a benchmark for how the spring is
progressing.  My total of 5 species of Warblers so far (Yellow-rump,
Pine, Palm, and 2 waterthrushes) this year is definitely below average
as we approach May 1st.  My best April was the famous spring of 2009
when I had 21 Species (!) of warblers by the end of April!

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA