Date: 4/29/18 1:16 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Waterbird fallout and other birds in western MA
Hi MassBirders,

I haven’t been able to catch any of the action yet, but today’s cold front apparently brought down a lot of waterbirds in western MA, per posts on the FaceBook group. Some of the highlights:

On Onota Lake near Pittsfield: over 100 Bonaparte’s Gulls, at least 2 Little Gulls, 27 Horned Grebes, a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers, and lots of Bufflehead (Gael Hurley)

Quabbin Reservoir: 54 Bonaparte’s Gulls, 53 Long-tailed Duck, 2 Red-necked Grebes, 8+ Horned Grebes, 5 Bufflehead, 2 scaup sp., 56 Double-crested Cormorant (Larry Therrien, viewing mostly from Winsor Dam but the RNGrebes were seen off Gate 5). Aaron Hulsey posted to eBird that he had a Lesser Scaup from Gate 5 later.

Barton Cove: 6 Red-necked Grebe, 4 Horned Grebe, 3 Bonaparte’s Gull, 21 Bufflehead (Jeremy Coleman, viewing from the Gill boat ramp and campground)

Great Pond in Hatfield: 8 Lesser and 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Blue-winged Teal, 2 Ring-necked Ducks (the yellowlegs actually have been around for a few days, so preceded today’s fallout, I think originally reported Friday by Al Richards, today by Jeremy Coleman except for the teal which were eBirded today by Mary McKitrick and originally reported way back on April 11 by Marcia Merithew)

So, anyone who lives near a body of water, especially a large one, it’s worth running over to check it out today!

While I missed all of that fun, I did notice that Broad-winged Hawks are trying to migrate in spite of today’s rain; one or two were flying over Nasami Farm in Whately (a native plant nursery run by the New England Wildflower Society) earlier this afternoon, and another over our home in Amherst near Amethyst Brook Conservation Area about an hour and a half ago.

When we arrived at the local Quaker meeting in Leverett this morning, my wife said as she was getting out of the car “If you want to skip meeting this week and go birding…” which was, of course, all I needed to hear on a day like today. My stops and highlights:

Cranberry Pond, Sunderland: Osprey, FOY Black-and-White Warbler
Palm, Pine, & Yellow-rumped Warblers
Brown Creeper, singing
30+ mixed swallows over the water, mostly Barn but some Rough-winged and Tree
Leverett Pond, Leverett: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
more Barn and Tree swallows
Mt Toby Friends (Quaker) meeting: Swamp Sparrow
more YR Warblers
Montague Bookmill (where we stopped for lunch): Louisiana Waterthrush singing by the river
Nasami Farm, Whately: Field Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
the aforementioned 1-2 BW Hawks
Back home in east Amherst: Blue-headed Vireo, singing
the other BW Hawk

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.