Date: 4/29/18 11:18 am
From: Dixie Sommers via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Cold spring morning at Dyke Marsh, Fairfax County
Nineteen birders put up with a cold wind this morning at Dyke Marsh,
counting 48 species on our walk. We had six warbler species:
Black-and-white, Yellow, Northern Parula, Palm, Common Yellowthroat, and
lots of Yellow-rumped, the latter mostly males in beautiful full breeding
dress. We had a some nice surprises: a male Baltimore Oriole, a first spring
male Blue Grosbeak, and two late Ruby-crowned Kinglets. A Great Crested
Flycatcher was FOS for some of us, and Ospreys seemed to be everywhere,
flying as well as on nests. There was a big complement of swallows,
including Northern Rough-winged, Tree, Barn and Purple Martins.

We were happy to have on the walk two participants from the City Nature
Challenge, recording what they saw in iNaturalist, and a visitor from St.
Mary's County, Maryland.

The Dyke Marsh walk occurs every Sunday (except during Christmas Bird Counts
and occasions when the George Washington Parkway is closed) and is open to
all. We welcome birders to meet in the Belle Haven picnic area parking lot
at 8:00 a.m.

Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Fairfax, Virginia, US Apr 29, 2018 7:47 AM -
9:51 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments: windy and chilly