Date: 4/29/18 10:32 am
From: Christopher Heckscher <checkscher...>
Subject: Re: Veery Thrushes, Lancaster County
Veeries that arrive first to breeding grounds are usually older males. You are correct that Veeries delay song for up to two weeks after they arrive on breeding grounds and often are very difficult to find during this time. This is well documented. Females arrive soon after males but the males still don't sing. Instead, they spend much of their time mate-guarding females - no time to sing. Only after females are incubating do males sing regularly. I'm not aware of any other North American songbird that exhibits this behavior to this extreme.

Christopher Heckscher