Date: 4/29/18 8:47 am
From: Susie Ruby <seruby...>
Subject: Re: migrating jays
Tom, I have seen this a few times and there were northern flickers mixed in. Just a few but each time they were flying with the blue jays.
 Susie Ruby,  MS Artist/Naturalist Scissortail Fine Arts Studio <scissortailfinearts46...> <seruby...> "I am trying to teach you that this alphabet of 'natural objects' (soils and rivers, birds and beasts) spells out a story, which he who runs may read--if he knows how. Once you learn to read the land, I have no fear of what you will do to it, or with it. And I know many pleasant things it will do to you." - Aldo Leopold

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 9:11 PM, Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...> wrote:

Tom, I have seen this Blue Jay phenomenon 3 or 4 times over the years.  It is not that uncommon.  There is a lot of information on line about Blue Jay migration.  I saw one estimate that the loose flocks numbered 5 to 250.Bob LavalHeavener

Sent from my iPad
On Apr 28, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Curtis, Tom <tom.curtis...> wrote:

Saw something new today.  I saw a flock of large dark birds flying toward me.  My first impression was that it was big flock of grackles.  But when they came nearer, it turned out to be a huge flock of blue jays.  I would estimate between 75 and 100 birds.  Most came in and landed briefly in a large oak, with first ones leaving as the ones behind landed.  I've never seen so many jays at one time.  Pretty neat.  Other FOY (all visible at once from my back porch): a male northern oriole, a male summer tanager, and a male painted bunting; plus several male yellow-rumps in breeding plumage and several Swainson's thrushes. Chuck-wills-widows were calling last night.
Have fun,Tom Curtis

Join us on Facebook!