Date: 4/29/18 8:26 am
From: jugbayjs <jugbayjs...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Hummer craziness
Since the first male showed up on April 20, hummer activity has been busy here. It will be interesting to see if we get a lot this summer, like we had the last two years. Prior to 2016, we would normally have like 6-12 during the summer when their activity peaks, but in 2016 that changed and I have no idea why. And normally in early season (now until early June) we only have a few at a time, and don't see double digits until about mid-June. Our peak in 2016 was 40 on Aug 7, and peak in 2017 was 50 on July 22. I documented this with video and eBird reports.

This morning there are about 10 here; a very high count for this date! They are hard to count but I've seen at least 4 males at once and at least 4 females at once and activity is high. Normally I start the season with a small feeder (8-12 oz) or two and work up to big ones (32 oz), but we added a medium one (~18 oz, not sure) on Friday to the first small one. The hummers have consumer about a quart so far this season, and half of it was the last 48 hours.

I am wondering what percent of these here now are local breeder returns from previous years vs random migrants. Would love to study this somehow and learn more about this!

Best regards-
Jeff Shenot