Date: 4/29/18 6:48 am
From: Judy & Don <9waterfall9...>
Subject: Topaz birding group at Ninestone
On Saturday, April 28th we had the pleasure of meeting 9 birders from the Topaz Birding Group from Ava, MO at Ninestone. The group has been birding together for around 25 years and we are so glad they chose to add Ninestone to their birding adventures.

We began birding in the yard, walked to the first crossing to view the bluffs from below, went back through the savanna, then up to the bluff glade. We didn't walk the creek. Afterwards we relaxed on the deck watching feeder birds and some folks waded across Piney Creek to enjoy the waterfall.

Judith
Ninestone, Carroll County

Here's a list of what we saw today:

Great Blue Heron
Black Vulture (nesting pair)
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk (pair soaring)
Red-tailed Hawk (pair soaring)
Broad-winged Hawk
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker (pair checking out condo in snag)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher * (first of season)
White-eyed Vireo
mystery Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow* (Sandy Chapin spotted the first ever seen at Ninestone!)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow * (first ever seen at Ninestone)
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Blue-wonged Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Pine Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak * (first of season)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch (in yellow breeding plumage)

Join us on Facebook!