Date: 4/29/18 5:00 am
From: N Drilling <dril0008...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] NHBC field trip results
Saturday a van full of BHSU ornithology students plus 4 other folks
participated in the NHBC field trip in Butte Co. We started at a
sage-grouse lek, then visited Belle Fourche sewage lagoons, Orman dam, and
Nisland Slough. We recorded 44 species (list below). Highlight is always
the displaying grouse. The biggest surprise species was a pair of
Black-necked Stilts at the sewage lagoons.

Canada Goose
Snow Goose
American Wigeon
Gadwall
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Greater Sage-grouse
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
White-faced Ibis
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Pectoral Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Caspian Tern
Turkey Vulture
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-dove
Mourning Dove
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
American Robin
House Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Common Grackle

May field trips: the West River Migration Count will be May 11-14 (contact
Vic Fondy) and the May 26th trip will be to Mt. Rushmore.

Nancy Drilling
Rapid City

Join us on Facebook!