Date: 4/28/18 8:05 pm
From: 'Preheim, Kelly' <Kelly.Preheim...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] April Big Day 102 species
Scott Stolz and I decided to see how many birds we could find in my area on an April day. We found 102 species of birds in Douglas, Charles Mix and Gregory counties - White Swan Rec. Area, Geddes Lake, pothole area, Lake Andes NWR, Ft. Randall Dam, Corsica Lake and various seasonal ponds around Armour. It was a great day! We birded from 5:15 AM - 8:15 PM. When we got to the White Swan area we saw a couple of groups of Greater Prairie Chickens on the booming grounds and I loved seeing that! We saw a couple of Sharp-tailed Grouse sitting in a tree too.

A few highlights for the day: Cinnamon Teal, Piping Plover, Cattle Egrets, White-faced Ibis, Bonaparte's Gulls, Forster's Terns, Sandhill Cranes, American Bittern, Peregrine Falcon, and Northern Rough-winged, Tree and Barn Swallows.

Shorebirds: American Avocets, Upland Sandpiper, Piping Plover, Killdeer, Hudsonian Godwits, Marbled Godwits, Baird's Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Long-billed Dowitchers, Wilson's Phalaropes, Greater Yellowlegs, Willets, and Lesser Yellowlegs.

Sparrows: Chipping, Field, Vesper, Savannah, Song, Lincoln Sparrows, Dark-eyed Junco and Spotted Towhees. The only warblers were Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumped Warblers.

It was a beautiful, spring day to be out birding! I will add photos to my Flickr site tomorrow: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rookiebirder/

Kelly Preheim

Armour, SD

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~ Rachel Carson

Join us on Facebook!