Date: 4/28/18 8:09 pm
From: <fkaluza...> <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Re: OT: Monitoring a nest site using an automated camera

I get it now Bob.  Yes, if the sensitivity is set too high, you get a lot of empty images caused by twigs moving in the wind.  Same old problem with 35 mm SLR or DSLRs on those "twitchy" birds.  Big apertures (for low light) and fast shutter speeds to stop blur.  Also...you compound things even further if you're chasing  high resolution.  All requirements very difficult (not to mention expensive) in today's matket.  Let me know if you decide to move forward with anything because you're really pushing the envelope on consumer electronics.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 21:41, Bob Bethune<bobbethune...> wrote: An unattended camera sits near, but not too near, the nest. When a bird enters its field of view, it takes a picture or records a short video clip. Like a nest webcam, but not connected to the internet and not continuous. Hunters do this all the time to monitor deer movements. What they use is called a trailcam. Trailcams don’t work very well on birds. I’m hoping somebody here happens to know of gear that is designed with birds in mind. Clear now?

On Saturday, April 28, 2018, <fkaluza...> wrote:

I’m not sure I grasp the meaning of your comment Bob.  Perhaps if we understood more about your intended use...Are you looking to robotically track a bird as with a “drone” helicopter or...rig a simple nest-box camera or, have a weathproof PTZ unit on a camouflage mount or tripod pointed up towards a nest or what?  I know of no systems that can mimic the response time of something like a “human head on a floating balloon” if that’s what you’re aiming for.  Tracking a bird in near-real time as it moves from branch to branch in the canopy could be done with A. I. as in a target tracking application but the bandwidth required for near real-time transmission of a digital image would be huge and processing delays would be substantial.  “Locking on” and tracking a Warbler (for example) as it flits from tree to tree is still beyond the capabilities of any consumer grade product I’m aware of.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, April 28, 2018, 11:39, Bob Bethune <bobbethune...> wrote:

They are indeed becoming more affordable. The trick seems to be to identify systems with really fast response times, since birds move so much more quickly than most other kinds of animals.
On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:35 AM, <fkaluza...> <fkaluza...> wrote:

Prices are coming down all the time Bob.  There are several systems with rechargeable batteries, solar panels and which stream over cellular connections.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:07, Bob Bethune<bobbethune...> wrote: I have a probable nest site on my property that I'd like to monitor more intensively than I can do using my own eyes.
I'm thinking of using some sort of automatic camera--similar to a trailcam. I have a trailcam, but I know by experience that it just doesn't work for birds.
Has anybody used equipment of this sort with good success? If so, what make/model?'
It needs to be a stand-alone recorder or camera. A webcam setup won't work; it's too far from the house to get to my router.
Thanks!

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/ great-lakes.net/group/birders/ .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ great-lakes.net/d/msgid/ birders/CAHsrc%2B%3Du% 2BsykBFiQraG7Suo4LDFKHPsbhe6gY 83P-hL%<2B0wQMvA...> com.