Date: 4/28/18 7:07 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny County - Northern Waterthrush, Great Crested Flycatcher and other quiet migrans
Hi All,

Some very interesting migrants during the Fern Hollow Nature Center's big day competition in the Sewickley/Sewickley Heights area (6:50 am to 3:50 PM):

Ruby-crowned Kinglets - everywhere, as expected

Louisiana Waterthrush - 4+ along Little Sewickley Creek

Wood Thrush - Walker Park, only sang a few times

Gray Catbird - Walker Park, saw it, but it never sang

Yellow-throated Warbers - maybe 4 all day

Yellow-rumped Warblers - numerous, as expected

Spotted Sandpiper - 4-6 birds, in a few locations

Horned Grebe - male on the Ohio River in superb breeding plumage

American Redstart - 2 males seen all morning

White-throated Sparrow - a number of birds in a number of locations

Yellow Warbler - 1 silent male foraging in Walker Park

Palm Warbler - Beaver Pond area

Empidonax species - I didn't see this one, but my teammates did get very good looks at a flycatcher with a wing bar

Yellow-throated Vireo - across the road from the Beaver Pond area

Broad-winged Hawk - resident at Sewickley Heights Park was seen and hear numerous times

Hooded Warbler - around the top parking lot area at Sewickley Heights Park, sang 3x only

Osprey - fighting the wind over our picnic table at the top parking area at Sewickley Heights Park

Ovenbird - in the vicinity of the Pine Tree Trail(?) at Sewickley Heights Park, only sang once

Black-throated Green Warbler - in woods trails at top of Sewickley Heights Park, sang 4-5 times only

Great Crested Flycatcher - " " "

Hermit Thrush - " ", called once only

Northern Waterthrush - at Sewickley Heights Park, in the forest pool behind the lawn near the top of the park; calling and seen

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!