Date: 4/28/18 4:17 pm
From: Mary Peterson <m_mpeterson...>
Subject: Salt Plains on 4-28-2018
Hello All,

Mary and I went out to the Salt Plains this morning hoping to join a birding field trip with the annual Crystal and Birding Festival out there. There was no sign of any field trip at the refuge headquarters as there has been in the past, so we went without them starting at Sand Creek Bay, then driving the auto tour, then going to Sandpiper trail and finally after lunch in Cherokee, back to Sand Creek Bay and finally to below the dam. We ended up with 18 species of shorebirds for the day. The winds were light, for a change. Highlights included:

Ring-necked Pheasant-8 in Grant County on the way out including 2 pairs

Snowy Egret-4

Little Blue Heron-3

Glossy Ibis-1 at Sand Creek Bay from the blind

Sora-3 at Sand Creek Bay

Snowy Plover-6 at Sandpiper Trail

Semipalmated Plover-1 at SandpiperTrail

Piping Plover-1 at Sandpiper Trail

Killdeer-3

Black-necked Stilt-6

American Avocet-Hundreds at Sand Creek Bay

Greater Yellowlegs-2

Lesser Yellowlegs-4

Willet-2

Upland Sandpiper-2

Hudsonian Godwit-18 at Sand Creek Bay

Marbled Godwit-20 at Sand Creek Bay

Semipalmated Sandpiper-3 at Sandpiper Trail

Western Sandpiper-1 at Sandpiper Trail

Least Sandpiper-30+ at Sandpiper Trail

Baird's Sandpiper-3 at Sandpiper Trail

Dunlin-1 in winter plumage at Sandpiper Trail

Wilson's Plalarope-Hundreds at Sand Creek Bay and 50+ at Sandpiper Trail

Yellow-headed Blackbird-20+ at the feedlot north of Cherokee.

Mark Peterson

Bartlesville

Join us on Facebook!