Date: 4/28/18 4:16 pm
From: Brandon <flammowl17...>
Subject: [cobirds] SE Colorado 4/28 (Dunlin, etc.)
I left Pueblo West on Friday night, as soon as I read about the RUFF in
Kiowa County yesterday evening, so I'd be at Upper Queens Reservoir at
daybreak. I was hoping my Colorado Ruff jinx would be over (I've missed
three of them in recent years), no such luck. At Upper Queens Reservoir,
Kiowa County, along with Dave Leatherman and Janeal Thompson, we saw a
singing male* Northern Parula* in the trees, a breeding plumage *Dunlin*, a
Black-bellied Plover, and many other shorebirds, including lots of
Long-billed Dowitchers, that didn't see to have a Ruff next to them. The
three of us were over to Neenoshe Reservoir, Kiowa County, and saw a *Field
Sparrow*, *Piping Plover*, and many other shorebirds, lots of Dowitchers
and yellowlegs got out hopes up a bit, though again, no such luck with any
Ruff. It was pretty windy, and we couldn't detect any loons, unfortunately
on the large lake. We then tried land birding, and checked out Melody
Tempel Grove in Bent County, and saw Red-bellied Woodpecker, and our first
Bullock's Oriole of the year (and read my cobirds mail, and saw that Joey
had seen a Zone-tailed Hawk, wishing we were also seeing one, or at
something as good). I then headed to over to North Gateway Park in Lamar,
hoping to see the staked out *Tundra Swan*, and did in the alfalfa field to
the east. Since I'm planning to be in SE Colorado next weekend, I decided
not to visit any other Lamar places, and start heading west. I made one
more birding spot, at Van's Grove in Bent County, where Norma Verhoeff was,
and had just seen a *Cassin's Vireo*, which we both were able to
photograph, we also saw a *Field Sparrow* there as well. Since I decided
to avoid Hwy 50's towns, Las Animas, La Junta, Swink, and part of Rocky
Ford, I went back by Cheraw, Lake Holbrook, and Rocky Ford SWA, didn't stop
at any of these places, it was amazing to see how high the water is at both
Lake Cheraw and Lake Holbrook. That's all, over 300 miles of driving in
one day, is a little much for me, though I had to at least make an attempt
for the Ruff and I saw lots of year birds, and had fun birding with Dave,
Janeal, and Norma. Again, wonderful find and photos by David Dowell, this
should become *Colorado's 5th State record!*

--
Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO