Date: 4/28/18 12:50 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Surprise birds
Walking my dog yesterday afternoon around six I was surprised by a
beautiful White-Crowned Sparrow coming out of a cedar tree.  He was
foraging on the lawn for quite a while and then took a bath in a water
filled dip in the gravel road.  He was stunning in that late sunlight.
They used to be as regular as Juncos in my yard but that has changed in
the last two years.

Coming home this afternoon I looked out the kitchen window and saw my
first male Orchard Oriole in the quince bush.  The flowering of this
shrub was always my signal to be on the lookout for them.

The Phoebe in the mailbox building started incubating yesterday. I take
a peke at her every morning when we pass by there.

A couple of days ago I again saw the Common Merganser with her little
ones paddling upriver.

I'm really enjoying the abundance of Towhees this year.  A minute ago
the male was here and now the female is scratching under the feeder.
The tube feeder above her is hanging from the old pink dogwood with a
male Bluebird and Goldfinch on it.  Spring has definitely arrived.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!