Date: 4/28/18 2:35 am
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Looking ahead to WAS field trip to Hudson Mills Metropark, Sunday, May 6, 7:45 am
Please join me for a WAS-sponsored tour of spring migrants at Hudson Mills
Metropark on Sunday, May 6. We will meet at 7:45 am sharp at the flagpole
in the front of the Activity Center. If the entry booth is unmanned, you
can purchase a $10 daily parking permit from Metropark staff at the
Activity Center.

Spring migrants at Hudson Mills can be surprising. We could have Scarlet
Tanager, Wood thrush, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided and Nashvlle warblers. We
always look for the park's summer residents such as Yellow-throated vireo,
Blue-winged warbler, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Bluebirds, and more. You never
know what gems will show up!

The long-range weather forecast for Sunday, May 6, is forecast to clear
with a cool start in the high 40s, warming to mid 50s at 11 am. Be prepared
for wet, dewy trails, grass, and fields due to rain in mid-week.
Personally, I wear gaiters to keep my feet dry. Bring insect repellent just
in case. Please be prepared for lots of hiking, stalking, standing, and
circling back over the same trails. No pets are allowed on the nature
trails. Please, no strollers either.

From Ann Arbor's northeast side, I drive to Hudson Mills as follows: head
north on US-23 and take exit 49, North Territorial Road. Turn left (west)
onto North Territorial and drive about eight to nine miles. A few hundred
feet after passing Huron River Drive, turn left (south) into Hudson Mills
Metropark. Take the second right into a large carpark that ends at the big
Activity Center. If you reach Dexter-Pinckney Road (where there's a
drive-through coffee shop), you have driven too far west on North
Territorial.

The park's website is at http://www.metroparks.com/ and mouse down on the
"Parks" link, choosing "Hudson Mills."

See you in a week on Sunday, May 6 at 7:45 am sharp. We will bird until the
bird activity slows down, usually around 11 am. You can leave the group at
any time. Just ask me how to hike back to the Activity Center's carpark. If
you have questions, please message me.

See this and all WAS field trips at http://www.washtenawaudubon.org/
(scroll down and focus on right side of page).

PS. Save the date Sunday, May 13, leaving Ann Arbor at 5:50 am through late
afternoon, for our field trip to Magee Marsh in NW Ohio. Details to come.

Karen Markey
Email: <ylime...>
Web: http://ylime.people.si.umich.edu/

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org