Date: 4/28/18 2:09 am
From: G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...>
Subject: Quivira Friday
I ran to Quivira Friday to scout a bit for an outing with others Saturday.
The first bird I saw when arriving on the refuge was an Osprey. Overall
shorebird numbers were not as high or diverse as I thought they would be.
I think I had Semipalmated, Baird's, Least Sandpipers with Long-billed
Dowitchers, both yellowlegs and a lone Dunlin. Good numbers of Snowy and
Semipalmated Plovers and a sprinkling of Piping Plovers. Ducks were as
expected (10 species). A loud and calling King Rail sat on the edge of the
cattails giving a rare and wonderful display. The 190'th dog town had two
Burrowing Owls. That dog town appears to be at a corner that has refuge on
the south side, Stafford County on the west side and Rice on the east
side. The owls were in Rice County but I'm not sure how Ebird will split
that out. Songbirds were limited as the day progressed but the road west
of the BSM near the barn had singing House, Marsh and Carolina Wrens all
heard from standing at one spot.

I hit the SW Harvey County wetlands on the way home. Greenfield Marsh is
totally dry with a good load of dead cattails that look like they could be
a real tinderbox. West Lake south of Burrton and north of the county line
was best viewed from the east. Shorebirds included Pectoral, Baird's and
one Least Sandpiper and a good mix of Long-billed Dowitchers along with a
lone Willit and Avocet and one Greater Yellowlegs. Patterson Marsh has
water but it is low. Duck numbers were good as were phalarope numbers
(Wilson's).

My guess is that next weekend on the way to KOS ought to be good.

Gregg

--
Gregg & Joanna Fenton Friesen
Newton, KS